Time to rewind

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

The Interpretation of Internet Writings

This has happened to me soo many times. Almost every time i chat on the internet it comes up once in a while.

You say something on the internet, (via typing of course), and you might intend it to mean one thing, but it comes out another way.

Also, a statement can be interpreted as a negative statement, when you really mean it in a positive way, like this thing down here. vvv

Example:
Guy 1: "Hey, that guy is really annoying."
Guy 2: "I KNOW."

Guy 1 can interpret this as something like, "I KNOW THAT ALREADY, WHY ARE U TELLING ME AGAIN?!!!" (Negative way) This might make guy 1 sad and leave the server.

Or he can interpret it as, "I know!!! (I try to imagine this in homestar's voice) Totally, I agree with you man!" (Positive way) If guy 1 interprets it in this way, he will have a jolly ol' time and be happy that someone agrees with him.

Usually, when I say "I KNOW!!" as when Guy 2 did, I it mean the positive way...

------------------------------------------------

I don't think I made any sense here, and i think i used bad examples.
there are probably many, better, different situations u could demonstrate this, but i cant think of any.

----------------------------------------------------

How can this be avoided my friends??

One simple answer:
Don't chat on the internet.
Or use excessive smileys at the end of your statment, e.g. :
"I know!!! :) :) :) :D :D :D"

And i think david's gonna post something about der clou...

3 Comments:

Blogger endeavor said...

Hehe, interesting outlook on internet chatting. I assume you most likely are talking about America's Army chat.

There is one way to fix this interpretation problem--Simply elaborate on what you mean. In your example,

Guy 1: "Hey, that guy is really annoying."
Guy 2: "I KNOW."

the best way for Guy 2 to respond is either "I KNOW that already..." or "I KNOW!!! I Totally agree." I'm not sure what is the best thing to add to "I KNOW", but Guy 2 should have added something (elaborated)...

November 02, 2005 3:25 PM

 
Blogger ifedajay said...

jburger, that's so true

November 02, 2005 3:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

November 02, 2005 6:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home